Etsy or Shopify? Which one is the best for Instagram Sellers?Apr 15, 2021
If you are selling vintage books (or anything vintage) on Instagram and invoicing through PayPal and have decided you are ready to branch out onto another selling platform, you are probably considering Shopify and Etsy. I want you to choose Etsy, and here is why:
1. Etsy will help you grow by bringing traffic to you rather than you needing to bring all your own traffic. You will not have to rely 100% on your own followers for sales and can build your customer base with the help of a trusted and popular platform.
2. You will have an easier time with taxes. In my state, I do not have to have a sales tax permit or worry about filing sales tax forms as long as I only sell on third-party marketplaces (Amazon, Etsy, eBay, etc). Etsy collects and remits sales tax on my behalf. A Shopify website belongs to me, so I need to do all that for myself. If you are still new to things like business taxes, licenses, etc, it’s simpler to stick with Etsy,
3. You can still create clickable, shop-able posts on Instagram. Being able to create Instagram posts that are clickable is a game-changer, but it’s not exclusive to Shopify. It may be easier with Shopify, but it’s still not as hard as it used to be through Etsy.
4. You can use your Instagram sales to grow your Etsy Quality Score. Use Etsy to “invoice” your customers when you have Instagram sales by creating custom listings for all of your orders. This can help your Etsy shop show up more in search because Etsy will see your shop is popular and will show it to more people. You can also ask your customers for reviews!
5. You can charge more for items on Etsy. I charge at least 20% more for items on Etsy than I do in my email or Instagram sales for two reasons. First, you have fees to pay and need to pad your prices to cover them. Second, Etsy customers aren’t very price sensitive. It’s a higher- end platform and it takes more effort to create listings there than on eBay (you should take better photos, for example), so you should charge a higher price that matches the platform.
If you are thinking about branching out from Instagram and want some help and guidance as you start an Etsy shop, grab a FREE copy of my e-book Build and Grow a Vintage Etsy Shop!
Get the latest blog posts right in your inbox
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from me right in your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.